Sunday, October 10, 2010

Scariest day of my life! 10/7/10

The day started out like any normal day. Woke up at 7:15am got ready for work. Sybella woke up at 7:30. My mom came to watch her. I left for work at 7:45 got to work at 8:00am. I come home for lunch at noon. Walk in the door and I see my mom holding Sybella close on the couch. With Bells holding a blanket tight in her little fists. Immediately I knew that something was off. Now Sybella is a very independent baby. She likes to cuddle only when she is tired. Most the time she is my little explorer. So to see her on my mom's lap not fighting to get off to play was crazy.
My mom says "I think something is wrong with Bella." I look at her and say "oh my (dog backwards)." I've never been one to ever take the Lords name in vain, but it was out before I even had time to think. Sybella started twitching her head involuntarily, and this was happening over and over. Tears start running down my face. I go to her and pick her up. She starts crying because the blanket falls out of her grasp. Sybella does not have a comfort object. She doesn't go to bed with the same blanket or toy every night. So to see her cry like her world just came apart because she let go of the blanket was very very off!
I ask my mom what happened. My mom relates to me that Sybella projectiled vomited at 9:00am after her bottle and afterwards she took a nap fine and woke up very clingy and the twitching just started. I say we need to take her somewhere. Franticly my mom and I start packing the diaper bag and getting the bottle. We get in the car and I tell my mom to head to Layton to Sybella's pediatrician. My mom gets on the freeway. The doctor is out to lunch. My mom suggests that we go to Primary Children's. We get off the Kaysville exit, turn around and start heading South. By this time Bells is screaming! I'm balling while holding her hand and singing through my hick-ups "You are my sunshine" (it comforts her sometimes in the car.) She started twitching again and I kept thinking that I can't lose her!
I call my husband at work and tell him what is going on. I call my work and tell them that I won't be back. Then I start calling anyone who I knew that would be by a computer after trying the third person (first 2 didn't answer.) I get my Auntie Kenzie (my mom's best friend.) I tell her Sybella's symptoms. I really don't know how she understood me through Sybella and my crying. Kenzie asks me why we are driving so far away. That we should go to the closest ER. We head to LDS hosptial. Kenzie gives me words of comfort and tells me that I need to be strong for Sybella. That babies can sense distress. I say a prayer and am somehow able to get my emotions in check.
We pull up to LDS and I get Sybella out of the car seat while my mom goes and parks the car. We check in. Side note: The Emergency Room clerk really needs to learn how to type faster! I think that should be a job requirement for all of them. "Must type 90 words a minute!" Now after repeating how to spell my last name 4 times and Sybella 3 times (which she still got wrong, she spelled it Syblla.) We finally are able to talk to a nurse. I relay the goings on and they start taking her vitals. Kody calls and tells me he is on his way. Relieve settles in. My rock is coming! By this time Sybella has started to act more like her normal self. Crawling on the bed, being more observant. She still seems very uncomfortable and cranky, she hasn't smiled once, again not normal for my happy baby. Kody shows up. He is much more calm than I am. That is his personality though. Guess its a good thing he is going to be a paramedic and police officer. I'm so grateful that my mother in-law picked him up from work and brought him there. It was such a comfort having his soothing, clear headed support.
They have to take Sybella's blood. Yuck!! I hate needles so that was very scary for me. Then they did a full body X-ray. But the hardest part of the day was trying to get a urine sample. They had to do a catheter. And they needed us to hold her down :( She was crying so hard, just wailing! It breaks my heart to think of it again. It took 2 times to get it to work, and then the urine didn't even go down the tube. It all kind of gushed out. Lucky the nurse was quick and caught some in a vile so we didn't need to do it again.
At the end of it all they decided that she had a mini seizure from a fever from an ear infection in the right ear. Also on the X-ray found a tiny piece of plastic, probably from a sales tag. But they said that should pass by the next day.
They wrote us a prescription for an antibiotic and we were on our way home.
That night was the worst. We gave her a bath at 6:00pm thinking that would help settle her down. We could tell that she was exhausted. We started our bedtime routine. She would not fall asleep. We were alternating Tylenol and Children's Ibuprofen every other every 3 hours. Nothing seemed to help. She was still in so much pain. Her crying started to get worse. Kody and I took turns holding and rocking her, singing to her. Nothing was helping. At 5:00am I told Kody to go to bed and Sybella and I went in her room and laid on the recliner, with her on my chest. She would sleep about 15 mins and wake up crying. At 7:15am my alarm went off. I woke Kody up and gave Bells to him. And got ready for work. My boss came to me at 11:30 and told me that they were sending me home, with a full days pay! I went home to find my mom rocking Sybella with her asleep in her arms! And Kody sound asleep in bed. That night she was back on schedule and slept all through the night.
I'm so glad that that day is over! I'm so grateful that I still have my beautiful daughter, the light of my life. That she is back to her happy self healthy self. I'm so thankful for my amazing husband, for all the support that he gives us!!

Sincerely, a very grateful Kiera

No comments:

Post a Comment